Today's Creative Blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://todayscreativeblog.net
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Thrifty Home

It’s hot out there people………107 today in the Rose City.  Thank God for central air……..but silly me keeps thinking that I’m stressing the grid too much…….I’m also trying to keep my son and his friend busy and inside.  You would think telling them they could play unlimited Wii downstairs would have given me a couple of free hours…….but they decided to do a fort….every blanket, pillow, swim towel, piece of furniture is being used……It’s a mess………but it’s giving me time to write a post. 

 

If you’ve taken time to read more than one post of mine, you know that I appreciate a good bargain.  I love it when I can find something I really want for less.  I have a great time putting together rooms from thrift items……….now I realize not everyone gets that or even wants too.  But I do know that this girl does.  A Thrifty Home.  She is more thrifty than I ever dreamed of being.  I had so much fun cruising around her blog for not only tips, recipes and kid crafts…….but she has some great ideas……before and afters……she has a little bit of everything.  She’s my new hero.  With the economy the way it is, I think a lot of us are looking at ways to trim the budget, do without and create more from less.  Her site is a great place to start.

I love the hard water tips……..I am so going to try this.  I don’t think we have hard water, but I do have some build up in my water tray from the fridge and around my faucet.  Drives me crazy.  She shows all the details in cleaning this and it’s non-toxic, so that’s even better in my book. She uses Vinegar………I think the white kind……you’ll have to go see to make sure.  Me too. IMG_1739IMG_1720

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wouldn’t it be nice to do this with no chemicals?  I’ll answer that…….yes…..yes it would.

IMG_1748IMG_1709

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

While we’re on a cleaning kick…..she uses lemonade Kool-Aid to clean her dishwasher……I wasn’t even aware that I needed to clean it, but I guess I will.  The important part of this photo is really the tip out drawer.  Hers weren’t the tip out kind to start with…….they were the fake kind……or is it faux.  Mine are like that…….she has a tutorial on how to make them the tip out kind so you can store your Kool-Aid and other stuff like sponges.  So handy.

sinktipdrawer

She proves she thrifty by re-doing these lamps.  She picked these up at her local thrift store…..we’ve all seen them…..and probably just kept walking….

IMG_1149

But look!  She spray painted them…….and tells you all the details on her site.  What would we do without spray paint? 

IMG_8647Keeping the kids busy and being thrifty can be challenging…….when my son and his friend get tired of building a fort…….we’ll have to try our hand at Tie Dying.  spiral shirt wraped upShe shows directions and tips….kids love this and since I’m from the NW……..we all have a little hippy in us.tie-dye spiral

Just to show off she has a tutorial on making an I Spy Quilt for her son……Great idea……..but way more work than I would be willing to do……..even if I was willing, I don’t sew remember? 

thrifty

It’s time to fill my Iced Tea and crank the AC……I hope the grid makes it. 

Thanks for reading…..off you go to leave her a comment about how you found her…….tell her I sent you.  I love surprising people like that.

13 comments:

Victoria Hayden said...

I am soo intrigued about the Lemonade Kool aid! I am on my way to visit her blog!

Hugs,
~Victoria~

Madison said...

WOW great before and afters!! I am going to that site right now!!!!

Emily said...

fun feature! thanks Kim!

Emily@ remodeling this life

Jen said...

wow, I am blushing right now. You really make my blog out to sound great. Thanks so much for all of your compliments. I will link over to your blog as soon as my kids decide to build a fort, play wii, or something to get out of my hair.
Thanks!

Beth said...

I found this blog a few weeks ago and LOVE IT! She has some great tips and ideas. My little girl would so love to come play in your son's fort. She is always wanting/asking if she can build one :)

Mary Corbet said...

I love this blog! Her I Spy quilt is great - perfect for kids. I want to make one!!!

Julie Link said...

great feature! very relevant!

Halahblue said...

Really great blog. Thanks for introducing it to your readers.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I'm going to check out that blog. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your blog a lot too. Have a great week. Love & blessings from NC!

The Redhead Riter said...

cool
thx for the links
Enjoy a Totally Tremendous Thursday!!!

Auntie E said...

Neat tips, know of must of them however the dishwasher one seem strange. Did you try it?

Louisette passion retriever, cat, memory Katanga said...

Really nice blog,love to pictures before-after
Greeting from Belgium
http://blog.seniorennet.be/louisette/

Anonymous said...

I love vinegar I have gallons in it in my home I use it for everything! It is a wonder substance.